Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Kent Meyers

Here is a post from my personal blog that I feel should be on this DSU bolg because it definitely relates to school. The post concerns a Mark Twain selected authors course that I am taking. Enjoy:

Kent Meyers, a published author and professor and BHSU, visited a literature class of mine today. His advice for writing: write, write, and write. This is what I caught from his presentation. He also preached observation which is something that I think all great and good writers possess. Today he discussed a story of his titled "Light in the Crossing."

His process for writing is what intrigued me the most. He doesn't begin by outlining a story or even really thinking about it ahead of time; his process for writing this story was to write. He began writing and continued writing (over a period of time) until this story emerged; this was fascinating! I too thoroughly enjoy creative writing and found this writing process out last summer. I would retreat to the library where I would begin reading until I no longer wanted to read and then I began to write. I did start the writing process with anything specific in my mind, but instead thought of a situation and built it from there. to my surprise the story emerged and I became enveloped in it! What a connection.

He also spoke about tension and this is what he looked for when writing. He wanted to find or create a situation in which this tension, between two people perhaps, would play out. He would keep within the moment and space where the tension was created and elaborate. I loved hearing him speak about creative writing and now have some framework for my future writing. Thanks Kent Meyers!

2 comments:

Phil B said...

Adam,

Just stopping by to let you know I got your comment. Thanks for the kind word. You still thinking of graduate school? If you ever want to come down and sit in on a couple of classes, let me know and I will help get it set up. If you want to come and see what we do as TA's, that would be cool as well.

Take care, now that I know where your blogs are, I will have to keep tabs on them.

John Nelson said...

It's good to see you two are keeping in touch! Maybe you could go down in the spring for the USD lit conference, Adam.